Effective date: 08.05.2018 / Updated on 02.04.2021
Ring LLC and our affiliates (collectively, “Ring”) respect your concerns about privacy. This Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we obtain and process about consumers and other individuals identified below, how we may use the information, with whom we may share it, and the choices available regarding our use of the information. The Privacy Notice also describes the measures we take to safeguard the personal information and how individuals can contact us about our privacy practices. Ring is the data controller for the personal information we obtain about you, except as described below.
- Information We Collect
- How We Use The Information We Collect
- Information Sharing
- Data Transfers
- Your Choices
- Other Third-Party Services and Features
- How We Protect Personal Information
- Policies for Children
- Retention of Personal Information
- EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
- EU General Data Protection Regulation – Legal Basis
- Updates To Our Privacy Notice
- How To Contact Us
Information We Collect
We obtain certain personal information in connection with the products and services we provide. The types of personal information we obtain as a data controller include:
- Contact information, such as name, phone number, and email and postal address;
- Account information, such as online password and other log-in details used to access Ring products and services;
- Payment information, such as name, billing address and payment card details, including card number, expiration date and security code, which is collected and stored by our third-party payment processor on our behalf; Ring stores only the last four digits of your payment card and the expiration date;
- The geolocation of your mobile device if you consent to the collection of this data;
- Product setup information, such as the name and description of your Ring product (for example, “Ring Doorbell – Front Door”) and the location where you install your Ring product, and adjustments you make to the product setup;
- Technical information about your Ring product, such as your Wi-Fi network information and signal strength, and your Ring product’s model, serial number and software version;
- Data about your interactions with our websites and mobile apps;
- Social media handles, content and other data posted on our official social media pages;
- Information we obtain from third-party social media services (e.g., Facebook) or payment services (e.g., PayPal) if you choose to link to, create or log into your Ring account through these services (including when you share Ring videos or content via your social media account);
- Information we obtain from third-party business partners if you choose to use Works With Ring Products or services, such as your account ID, account name and email address;
- Information you submit in connection with a career opportunity at Ring, such as contact details, information in your resume and details about your current employment;
- Other personal information contained in content you submit to us, such as through our “Contact Us” feature or customer support tools on our websites or mobile apps.
When you interact with our products and services, we obtain in our role as a data controller certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons, and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
We may use these automated technologies to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we obtain in this manner may include your device IP address, identifiers associated with your devices, types of devices connected to our services, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, language preferences, referring/exit pages, clickstream data, and dates and times of website or app visits. These technologies help us (1) remember your information so you will not have to re-enter it; (2) track and understand how you use and interact with our products and services; (3) tailor the services around your preferences; (4) measure the usability of our products and services and the effectiveness of our communications; and (5) otherwise manage and enhance our products and services, and help ensure they are working properly.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our online services. For mobile devices, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device.
As a data processor, we process certain information on your behalf and to the extent necessary to provide you with certain services. This section describes the activities for which Ring serves as a data processor.
Our products and services are designed to allow you to see, hear and speak to anyone at your door from your computer or mobile device, and collaborate with others in your community. To provide you with these services, we process and store content (and related information) that is captured and recorded when using our products and services, such as video or audio recordings, live video or audio streams, images, comments, and data our products collect from their surrounding environment to perform their functions (such as motion, events, temperature and ambient light).
Privacy, data protection and video surveillance laws in your jurisdiction may apply to your use of our products and services. You are the data controller with respect to personal information you obtain when using our products and services (such as video or audio recordings, live video or audio streams, images, comments, and data our products collect from their surrounding environment to perform their functions) and you are solely responsible for ensuring that you comply with applicable law when you use our products or services. For example, you may need to display a notice that alerts visitors to your home that you are using our products or services. Capturing, recording or sharing video or audio content that involves other people, or capturing others peoples’ facial feature information, may affect their privacy and data protection rights.
We may use the information we obtain about you as a data controller to:
- Provide our products and services to you;
- Establish and manage your Ring account and profile;
- Process and fulfill claims and orders in connection with our products and services and keep you informed about the status of your order;
- Personalize your experience with our products and services;
- Allow you to stream, save and share content through our services;
- Identify and authenticate you so you may access certain content or use certain of our services;
- Increase and maintain the safety and security of our products and services and prevent misuse;
- Communicate with you (including providing you with offers and other communications about our products and services) and provide customer support;
- Allow you to interact with certain third-party products or services (for example, to enable you to link to, or view content from, third-party sites within our services, or connect to third-party products and services through Works With Ring);
- Perform analytics (including market and consumer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and anonymization of personal information);
- Manage career opportunities at Ring; including for recruitment purposes, employee onboarding and other HR purposes;
- Operate, evaluate, develop, manage and improve our business (including operating, administering, analyzing and improving our products and services; developing new products and services; managing and evaluating the effectiveness of our communications; performing accounting, auditing, billing reconciliation and collection activities and other internal functions);
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and policies, including this Privacy Notice and our Terms of Service.
We also may use the information we collect about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection and obtain your consent if required by applicable law.
When you use our websites and apps, information about your online activities may be collected to provide you with advertising about products and services tailored to your interests. Where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent for the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
We do not sell or otherwise share personal information about you except as described in this Privacy Notice. We may share your personal information with (1) our affiliates and subsidiaries and (2) our service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as order fulfillment and data analytics and storage. We do not authorize our service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. We also may share personal information with our business partners with whom we jointly offer products and services or to the extent you use Works With Ring to connect to third-party products or services.
We also may disclose personal information about you (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (2) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; (3) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (4) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (5) otherwise with your consent.
We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation).
We may transfer the personal information we obtain about you to recipients in countries other than the country in which the information originally was collected. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information. When we transfer your personal information to recipients in other countries (such as the U.S.), we ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection. We rely on European Commission adequacy decisions or use contracts with standard safeguards published by the European Commission (you can ask Customer Service for a copy of these) and similar measures under UK laws for such transfers.
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we obtain about you. To update your preferences, limit the communications you receive from us, or submit a request, please contact us as specified in the How to Contact Us [#contactus] section of this Privacy Notice. You also may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions in the communications you receive or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We do need to send you certain communications about our products and services, and you will not be able to opt out of those communications. This includes, for example, information about billing.
When you purchase our products, you may choose to use our Ring Protect Plan (“Ring Protect”) on a trial or subscription basis. If you have enabled the recording features of the Ring Protect, we retain the recordings (and any related information) from your product during your recording subscription period so you can access your content during that time period. You may delete your recordings from Ring Protect at any time by accessing your account.
As required by law, you may (1) have the right to access certain personal information we maintain about you; (2) request that we update or correct your personal information; (3) object to the processing of your personal information or withdraw your prior consent, if applicable; and (4) ask us to block or delete your personal information from our database. To exercise these rights, please visit here or contact us as indicated in the How To Contact Us [#contactus] section of this Privacy Notice. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we may take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information. To the extent permitted by applicable law, a charge may apply before we provide you with a copy of any of your personal information that we maintain.
Other Third-Party Services and Features
Our products, services, or websites may allow you to link to those of third parties in order to provide certain features or experiences. For example, you may be able to connect your Ring device or account to a non-Ring service (such as a third-party works with Ring product or your Amazon account).
In addition, our website and mobile apps may provide links to other online services for your convenience and information, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, payment services, widgets and plug-ins (e.g., Facebook, Twitter or PayPal buttons).
These third-party services and features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by us, Ring is not responsible for these third parties’ information practices. By using or engaging with such services and features, you are requesting and authorizing us to transfer or provide access to information on your behalf, for example, your account ID, email address, data about your Ring device usage or collected by your Ring device, etc.
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
We recognise the importance of protecting children’s online privacy. Ring’s products and services are intended for adults and are not directed to children. If you're under 18, you may use Ring products and services only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we retain personal information we obtain about you as long as (1) it is needed for the purposes for which we obtained it, in accordance with the provisions of this Privacy Notice or (2) we have another lawful basis for retaining that data beyond the period for which it is necessary to serve the original purpose for collecting the data.
When you purchase our products, you may choose to use our Cloud Video Recording Service (“Cloud Service”) on a trial or subscription basis. If you have enabled the recording features of the Cloud Service, we retain the recordings (and any related information) from your product during your recording subscription period so you can access your content during that time period. You may delete your recordings from the Cloud Service at any time by accessing your account. It may take us up to 72 hours to remove those recordings.
We do not rely on the Privacy Shield but continue to keep to the commitments below that we made when we certified to the Privacy Shield.
Ring LLC and its subsidiaries Ring Protect Inc. and Wireless Environment, LLC participate in the EU-U.S. and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Frameworks (“Privacy Shield”) regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries, the United Kingdom, and Switzerland. We have certified with the Department of Commerce that we adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Principles, see here.
If you have any inquiries or complaints about our handling of your personal information under Privacy Shield, or about our privacy practices generally, please contact us at: email@example.com. We will respond to your inquiry promptly. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third-party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://www.jamsadr.com/file-an-eu-us-privacy-shield-claim. If neither Ring nor our provider resolves your complaint, you may pursue binding arbitration through the Privacy Shield Panel. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Panel, see here.
As explained here we sometimes provide personal information to third parties to perform services on our behalf. If we transfer personal information received under the Privacy Shield to a third party, the third party's access, use, and disclosure of the personal information must also be in compliance with our Privacy Shield obligations, and we will remain liable under the Privacy Shield for any failure to do so by the third party unless we prove we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
The EU GDPR and UK data protection laws require a legal basis for our use of personal information. Our basis varies depending on the specific purpose for which we use personal information. We use:
- Performance of a contract when we provide you with products or services, or communicate with you about them. This includes when we use your personal information to take and handle orders, deliver products and services, and process payments.
- Our legitimate business interests and the interests of our customers when we improve Ring’s products and services, when we detect and prevent fraud and abuse in order to protect the security of our customers, ourselves, or others, and when we provide you with interest-based advertising.
- Your consent when we ask for your consent to process your personal information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. When you consent to our processing your personal information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time and we will stop processing of your data for that purpose.
- Compliance with a legal obligation when we use your personal information to comply with laws.
- These and other legal bases depending on the purpose for which we use personal information.
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices. We will post a notice on our websites and mobile apps to notify you of significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate at the top of the notice when it was most recently updated.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, or if you would like us to update information we have about you, change your preferences or exercise other applicable data protection rights, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
1523 26th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Our representative in Europe is:
Ring of Security B.V.
TQ, Singel 542
1017 AZ, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
The data protection officer for the above-mentioned data controller can be contacted at email@example.com.
If you would like to exercise your data protection rights, please click here.
To view previous Privacy notice versions click below: